News

Canada’s Carney Calls New 50% U.S. Tariffs a ‘Miscalculation,’ Announces Retaliation

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has sharply criticized the United States’ new 50% tariffs on Canadian goods, calling the move a “miscalculation” after last-minute trade negotiations between the two countries collapsed.

The tariffs took effect at midnight Saturday, covering a broad range of Canadian products. Carney blamed the breakdown in negotiations on what he described as unfair and economically damaging demands from the Trump administration.

“In recent days, the United States proposed new terms that were uneconomic, unfair, and undermined the net benefits for Canada,” Carney told reporters Saturday. “In short, they asked too much, and they offered too little.”

Carney had announced late Friday that Canada was suspending negotiations and recalling its trade delegation to Ottawa after weeks of talks failed to produce an agreement.

He praised Canadian negotiators for working “in good faith” until the deadline but said his government ultimately decided to reject what he characterized as a bad deal.

According to the U.S. Trade Representative’s office, the 50% duties affect about $20 billion worth of American imports from Canada, including hockey sticks, some building materials, alcoholic beverages and certain clothing.

Canada is now preparing retaliatory tariffs. Carney said Ottawa would match the U.S. measures “dollar for dollar” to protect Canadian workers and businesses.

On Saturday, he outlined what he called a “focused response,” with Canadian tariffs targeting U.S. products in sectors including steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics. Those measures are scheduled to take effect September 8.

Asked why his government’s response appeared increasingly confrontational, Carney replied: “Because we were attacked.”

The collapse of negotiations represents a dramatic reversal from earlier in the week. President Donald Trump had paused the tariffs for three days on Tuesday and announced on social media that the two countries had reached a deal.

Officials on both sides had continued to express optimism until shortly before the deadline. Canadian officials held hours of negotiations with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer on Thursday, but the two governments ultimately failed to resolve their differences.

The renewed tariff confrontation threatens to deepen economic tensions between two countries whose economies are closely integrated through trade, manufacturing and cross-border supply chains.

Kindly share this story:
Kindly share this story:
Share on whatsapp
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on telegram
Share on facebook
Top News

Related Articles