Human rights activist and former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress, Omoyele Sowore, has declared his intention to contest the 2027 presidential election.
Sowore made the announcement during an appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today programme on Friday, where he disclosed that preparations for the party’s primary election were already underway.
Responding to a question on whether he would contest again in 2027, Sowore said, “Yes. We have our party primaries next week.”
The former presidential candidate, however, declined to suggest that he would emerge as the sole aspirant of the party.
“Well, let the party decide who their candidates are,” he added.
Speaking on the Independent National Electoral Commission’s digital registration requirements for political parties, Sowore disclosed that the AAC had not yet completed its submission process.
“We haven’t finally submitted, and that’s what this court judgment says. So if you have submitted now, the court says you can reopen your portal and start again. But we never stopped anyway,” he said.
During the interview, Sowore also defended his political ideology and argued that Nigerians should begin considering alternatives to the country’s established political figures.
He criticised leading politicians including President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, former presidential candidate Peter Obi, Seyi Makinde, and former Rivers State governor Rotimi Amaechi, accusing the political class of contributing to Nigeria’s economic and security challenges.
“Because all of the ideas of the people you mentioned brought Nigeria into this cycle of poverty, insecurity, pain, sorrow, and tears,” Sowore said.
“Do you want Nigeria to continue to get these same people elected or selected, whichever way they get themselves into office, so that they can suffer more, so that those of us who have ideas that can liberate this country will not be listened to?” he added.
Sowore insisted that his ambition is driven by a genuine desire to win the presidency and offer what he described as a fresh direction for the country.
“Yes,” he replied when asked if he was running to win.
“And it is because, as I’ve said several times, all the political parties are equal, and the better candidates should be able to win elections in this country, people with ideas.”
He further stated that the country faces more severe economic and social challenges than in previous election cycles.
“It’s different because these are different times also. Times are harder. Nigeria is in bigger trouble,” he said.
Sowore previously contested the presidency under the AAC platform in both the 2019 and 2023 general elections, consistently presenting himself as an alternative to Nigeria’s mainstream political establishment.
























