News

Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema Wins Second Term Amid Fraud Allegations

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema has secured re-election for a second five-year term following a presidential contest overshadowed by allegations of electoral fraud.

Official results released by Zambia’s electoral commission early Tuesday showed Hichilema winning approximately 61.4% of valid votes, comfortably ahead of his main challenger, Brian Mundubile, who received about 38%.

“I therefore declare Hichilema Hakainde S to be president-elect of the Republic of Zambia this 18th day of August, 2026,” electoral commission chairperson Mwangala Zaloumis announced.

The election marked Hichilema’s seventh presidential campaign. The 64-year-old incumbent had been widely expected to perform strongly, while the vote was Mundubile’s first attempt to win the presidency.

Following the announcement, hundreds of Hichilema’s supporters gathered in the capital, Lusaka, to celebrate. Wearing the red colors of his United Party for National Development, supporters sang, danced and set off firecrackers.

In a statement after his victory, Hichilema said he was “truly humbled” by the confidence voters had placed in his leadership.

He also reached out to Zambians who supported opposition candidates, promising that his government would continue working on their behalf.

“We hear you, and we will continue to work for you,” Hichilema said.

There was no immediate response from Mundubile following the declaration of the results.

The outcome follows several days of heightened political tension after what had initially been a relatively calm campaign ahead of the August 13 election.

Kindly share this story:
Kindly share this story:
Share on whatsapp
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on telegram
Share on facebook
Top News

Related Articles