Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said the Food and Drug Administration will move forward on a petition seeking a renewed safety review of certain ingredients commonly used in ultra-processed foods.
The citizen petition, filed last year by former FDA Commissioner David A. Kessler, calls on the agency to reassess the safety status of “processed refined carbohydrates,” including corn syrup, high-fructose corn syrup and refined flours. The filing argues that these ingredients are associated with health conditions such as high blood pressure, elevated triglycerides and excess abdominal fat.
Kessler’s petition contends that the “generally recognized as safe,” or GRAS, designation for these ingredients relies on outdated scientific data. It maintains that the FDA has the authority to reexamine the safety of certain refined sweeteners and flours in light of more recent research.
“We will act on David Kessler’s petition,” Kennedy said during an interview aired Sunday on 60 Minutes. “And the questions that he’s asking are questions that FDA should’ve been asking a long, long time ago.”
Kennedy did not specify whether the agency would issue a formal ruling on the petition or provide a timeline for further action.
Under federal regulations, the FDA is required to respond to citizen petitions within 180 days, a deadline that has already passed. The agency issued an interim response last week, stating that it has not yet reached a final decision on the matter.
























