The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has confirmed 318 cases of Lassa fever and 70 related deaths nationwide since the start of 2026, raising fresh concerns over the spread of the deadly virus.
Speaking at a press briefing on Friday, NCDC Director-General and Chief Executive Officer, Jide Idris, disclosed that 1,469 suspected cases have so far been reported, with a case fatality rate of 22 per cent. He noted that Edo, Ondo, Taraba, Bauchi, and Ebonyi states account for 91 per cent of confirmed infections, while 10 local government areas make up 68 per cent of total cases.
To curb the outbreak, Idris said the NCDC has deployed its National Rapid Response Team to Bauchi, Ondo, Taraba, Edo, Plateau, Benue, and Jigawa states, while working closely with state governments to boost surveillance, treatment, and community engagement.
“Protecting healthcare workers is a key priority,” Idris said, revealing that 15 health workers have already been infected in 2026. He attributed the spread to low risk perception, poor infection prevention practices, delayed care-seeking, weak contact tracing, and limited state funding for prevention efforts.
The NCDC boss also cautioned against misinformation, citing a false outbreak report at the Kwara State NYSC camp, warning that rumours could undermine containment efforts. He urged Nigerians to maintain environmental hygiene, store food properly, control rodents, and seek medical care early.
Lassa fever is an animal-borne viral haemorrhagic disease caused by the Lassa virus, transmitted mainly through exposure to food or household items contaminated by the Mastomys (African) rat. The disease remains endemic in Nigeria and other parts of West Africa.
























