Former Prince Andrew and the younger brother of King Charles III, was arrested Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office, according to law enforcement officials.
In a statement, Thames Valley Police said officers had “arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office” and were conducting searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The force said the individual remains in custody and declined to name him, citing national guidance.
Photographs from Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in eastern England showed what appeared to be police officers arriving in several unmarked vehicles. The arrest coincided with Andrew’s 66th birthday.
The development follows the release of documents detailing communications between Andrew and the late financier Jeffrey Epstein. Emails made public by the U.S. Justice Department show correspondence between Epstein and one of Andrew’s aides, David Stern, and suggest the royal may have discussed leveraging his role as the United Kingdom’s special representative for trade and investment in connection with private business matters.
The emails date to 2010. Andrew served as Britain’s trade envoy from 2001 until 2011, stepping down after Buckingham Palace announced he would relinquish the post amid criticism over his associations, including his friendship with Epstein.
Andrew has previously denied any wrongdoing related to Epstein.
Thames Valley Police said last week that it was assessing reports concerning Andrew’s alleged conduct during his tenure as trade envoy.
“We can confirm receipt of this report and are assessing the information in line with our established procedures,” a spokesperson said in a statement dated Feb. 9.
























