News

Wike Orders FCT-Wide Demolition of Drainage Blockages

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered the expansion of ongoing demolitions of illegal structures obstructing drainage channels from Maitama District to other parts of the territory.

Wike said the exercise would be conducted without exception as part of efforts to enforce environmental and urban planning regulations and tackle flooding in the Federal Capital Territory.

The minister spoke on Wednesday in Abuja during a press briefing after inspecting major infrastructure projects across the territory.

“We just started somewhere. After that, we will move to another area. We are not going to end where we started yesterday. We are very serious and I can tell you that we are not going back. It doesn’t matter who is affected,” Wike declared.

Addressing concerns over due process in the demolition exercise, the minister argued that structures built across natural waterways endanger residents by restricting the free flow of water.

“You went to block a water channel, is that due process? I’m the one following due process to make sure the right thing is being done… By the time we remove those structures that block the water channel, there will be free flow of water to where it is supposed to be.”

Wike also announced an immediate territory-wide ban on the unauthorised conversion of public recreational areas, green spaces and parks, including areas around Millennium Park, into commercial car dealerships and parking lots.

He said the directive was necessary to address flooding in parts of the Federal Capital City, expressing concern over the increasing use of designated green areas for vehicle sales.

The minister disclosed that a dedicated task force had been established to enforce the directive and remove unauthorised car dealers operating in such locations.

“You can imagine, everywhere you have green areas, you have carports now. So, I’ve already stopped it, and I’ve set up a task force to make sure that every car dealer is moved out of the green areas.

“If you want to sell your car, you go and purchase somewhere and then develop it. Not where you see green. You just go and start selling cars or where is supposed to be a recreational park turned into the car selling point, we will not accept it again,” the Minister stated.

Following the directive, the FCT Head of Service, Nancy Sabanti Nathan, summoned key directors, including officials overseeing Parks and Recreation, Environmental Protection, Traffic Management, and Urban and Regional Planning, to explain how illegal approvals were issued to car dealers.

Wike also provided updates on several infrastructure projects inspected during his tour, including the extension of the access road from Tungan Madaki community near the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport to Zuba, the Body of Benchers to Ring Road III road extension, and the dualisation of the access road serving Nile University and Baze University in the Institutions and Research District.

The minister expressed satisfaction with the progress and quality of work on the projects.

Kindly share this story:
Kindly share this story:
Share on whatsapp
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on telegram
Share on facebook
Top News

Related Articles