News

North Korea Unveils New Pyongyang Housing District for Families of Troops Killed in Ukraine War

In this photo provided by the North Korean government, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, second right, attends a completion ceremony of the new street, called Saeppyol Street in Pyongyang, North Korea Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. Independent journalists were not given access to cover the event depicted in this image distributed by the North Korean government. The content of this image is as provided and cannot be independently verified. Korean language watermark on image as provided by source reads: "KCNA" which is the abbreviation for Korean Central News Agency. (Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via AP)

North Korea said Monday it has completed a new residential district in Pyongyang for the families of soldiers killed while fighting alongside Russian forces in Ukraine, in what leader Kim Jong Un described as a tribute to the country’s “young martyrs.”

State media published images of Kim touring the newly built Saeppyol Street and visiting bereaved families, accompanied by his daughter, widely believed to be named Kim Ju Ae. During the visit, Kim pledged that the government would repay those who “sacrificed all for the motherland.”

In remarks carried by state outlets, Kim said the new housing development embodied the “spirit and sacrifice” of the fallen troops and was intended to help their families “take pride in their sons and husbands and live happily.” He added that he had urged officials to complete the project “even one day earlier” in hopes of offering “some small comfort” to grieving relatives.

Pyongyang has in recent months stepped up propaganda efforts honoring soldiers deployed to support Russia’s war in Ukraine, including unveiling a memorial wall and establishing a museum dedicated to their service. Analysts say the campaign is aimed at reinforcing domestic unity and preempting potential unrest over mounting casualties.

Kim has sent thousands of troops and substantial military hardware — including artillery and missiles — to aid Russian President Vladimir Putin’s war effort, as both countries deepen ties amid ongoing tensions with Washington.

South Korea’s National Intelligence Service told lawmakers last week that it estimates roughly 6,000 North Korean troops have been killed or wounded in the conflict, though it did not specify how many were fatalities. Last year, the agency assessed that about 600 North Korean soldiers had died.

South Korean officials also believe North Korean forces are gaining valuable battlefield experience and receiving technical support from Russia that could enhance the performance of Pyongyang’s weapons systems, according to lawmakers briefed in a closed-door session.

Kindly share this story:
Kindly share this story:
Share on whatsapp
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on telegram
Share on facebook
Top News

Related Articles